The other day, when I walked into my sewing room, I noticed my dependable Rowenta iron had wet herself.......there she was, all embarrassed, sitting in the middle of a gigantic wet spot that took up half my ironing board. I know I got lucky that's all she wet on, I've heard the horror stories of steam irons ruining quilt tops, but luckily that wasn't the case this time. As long as I choose to use steam, I know that's a risk just floating out there in the future.
So I went to look for a replacement for my iron, but I guess they no longer produce my old model, so I was forced to upgrade. The nose on this iron has a great elongated tip and there are three times as many steam holes that are a third of the size of the ones on my old iron. So far we are getting along great. In a moment of weakness or boredom, I read the owner's manual. Did you know you're to empty the water well in the iron each time you're finished with it? That was news to me. I use my iron almost everyday, but since reading that tip I've been emptying out the water at the end of the day. I'm hoping this new little routine will make my iron last longer and just maybe prevent a water stain issue down the road.
I've sewed all the inner blocks for State of Chaos together, the process was relatively easy. I had a few points that did not match exactly but overall I would rate this pattern as pretty forgiving. The pattern called to sew each 6 inch block into rows, then sew together the ten rows.
I chose to sew 4 blocks together to create this block, then sewed these 12 inch blocks together to finish it up. I did this so I could pay attention to the corners making up the center pinwheel, plus it gave me another chance to square things up. Whenever I can, I take the opportunity to square blocks up! So now I'm waiting for my containment border fabric that I ordered online. Once I have it I'll be able to finish this quilt. It's staying on the design wall until it's done.
On to the next project...
I saw a Hunters Star project on Allyson/Fat Cat Quilts blog. I loved its color way, beige, navy and black. I dropped her a note saying how much I liked that color combination and was thinking of going with those colors for my next project. She was nice enough to let me know that the project was really all blacks, no blues, just poor photography. That's just like me, to pick a color pattern for my next project off a bad picture. But it didn't stop me!
So I'm taking these blacks and blues ........
Print this post
And these lights.....
and making 80 of these. This block has several names, Jacobs Ladder, Road to California, Off to San Francisco and Gone to Chicago. But whatever it's called, this is what I'm going to be working on the rest of this month. No fabric drama, just cutting and sewing.
I really like navy, and in the summer, I don't think there's anything sharper than a navy blue and white outfit. I don't really have any navy in my house but I think adding the black will make it fit in and be a nice change of pace.