So I'm still working away on Ashcombe by Carrie Nelson for Miss Rosie's Quilt Co, and just loving it.
One reason I'm enjoying this project is that I'm sticking with the pattern, no added "Thelma Drama" due to changing the pattern, adding a new pattern to the existing pattern, resizing or supersizing...I'm just letting Carrie drive this bus and I'm along for ride.
Another reason I'm enjoying this project is the fabric,
I'm using Simple Abundance by Bonnie and Camille for Moda.
I didn't take to this fabric when it first came out, and even after I bought my fat quarter bundle, I had my doubts as to how much I would like a quilt made with this family. I kept seeing so many lovely projects online made from this fabric that I figured I couldn't go wrong.
Print this post
I am so envious of you quilters who can look at fabric, immediately fall in love with it, and know it will make the most beautiful quilt. Usually, by the time I figure out I like a fabric, it's all sold out!
Here's the background fabric I'm using . . .
It's not part of this family, but it's a perfect match. I think greens are the hardest colors to match....there are so many shades of green. But I got lucky with this one, it's the perfect combination of complimenting the fabric, not over powering it, and it's not so plain that it makes the quilt top look flat.
and blues from this family, they'll make it into something else.
That left the yellows, browns, reds, greens and oranges to work with, a perfect early spring or early fall color palette.
So here's Carrie's stripped pieced version of Ashcombe,
This quilt was pieced for Carrie by Carol, at Brown Quilts, and beautifully quilted by Darlene, at Quilting Daze.
I really liked the stripped piece version of Ashcombe, but I wanted to showcase the fabric a little more, so I decided to go with this version of Ashcombe.
This quilt was pieced and quilted for Carrie by Darlene, at Quilt Daze.
So here's a sample block . . .
You know when I mentioned that I wasn't changing the pattern.....
I meant not much....
I decided to add a few of the stripped pieced blocks for interest.
The perfect solution given I was limiting myself by removing the pinks and blues from the family.
So I finished piecing all the blocks
and threw them on my design wall.
All that's left is to quit rearranging them and sew them together. I have this thing about like fabric touching in a scrappy quilt....it drives me insane when that happens!!
But I rearranged them for the 10th time before I went to bed last night, and took a quick peek first thing this morning, I think I've found the perfect place for each block!!
I've not had a project using setting triangles since I made Quilt #2 and Quilt #3.... a long time ago, when I had little experience. The result was not pretty. I'm hoping I've improved. The pattern directions just act like it's one more piece to be added to each row, so no since in worrying about it,