So I took the blocks all apart and started again.
I knew I wanted to keep the color in the quilt, but not as much color as I had going on in my first attempt. I studied the pattern cover a little and decided I did like the 9 patches, so that's what I went with, only a little different.
The 9 patches finish at 1 1/2". I'm using the dark brown and black fabric from Black Magic and the brights from Candy Corn to make the 9 patches. Then I'm setting the 9 patches in a medium brown and gold piece of fabric also from Candy Corn.
I think using smaller pieces of the bright fabric, then surrounding it with the dark and medium fabric, tones everything down perfectly. I love the brown, it's hard to tell in this picture, but it goes great with the background fabric and brown embroidery thread used for the stitched blocks.
I had to change my layout a little. I prefer my layout that had the 4 smaller stitcheries in the center but they don't work with the 9 patches, it's a math thing. I think once it's all done I'll be fine with the two larger stitcheries in the center, or I guess I'll have to be, because that's where they are staying.
Once the blocks are all connected I'll add an outer border using the same 9 patch blocks, only larger.
I think this setting does a much better job of complimenting the stitched blocks, I'm so glad I didn't settle on my first idea, deep down I just knew there had to be something better.