So way back in May of 2010, I got the wacky idea to try and stitch these Hocuspocusville blocks by Crab-apple Hill. I had no problems picking out my background fabric, selecting my thread, and tracing the pattern onto the fabric. The problems started when I tried stitching my first block. I didn't get any further than the top of one tree before I figured out that I would never be happy with my effort so I quit. I even gave away the pattern. I felt bad about giving up so easily, I really loved the pattern, but I just moved on to something else and forgot all about it. Until I would see someone's blog who was successfully working on Hocuspocusville, then I would be disappointed all over again.
Well imagine my surprise and pure delight when these blocks arrived in my mailbox.
Yes, someone who reads my blog took pity on me and for over a year worked on stitching these blocks for me!! The person who sent the blocks said it was OK for me to blog about the blocks but to please not mention their name, which I respect and understand. I had no idea she was working away on them until they arrived at my house I also have no idea how she was able to part with them, let alone send them to me in regular mail!!
Aren't the blocks amazing, I can't pick a favorite, I love them all.
So I've had these blocks for months not really sure how to set them. I knew two things, I wanted to improve on the blocks setting from the pattern, I thought the center pieced blocks overpowered the stitched outer blocks, and I wanted this project to be Lifetime Quilt Number 113, just for fun. Once I got to Lifetime Quilt 110 I got serious about looking for some fabric to add to this project.
I found and bought these two bundles from the Fat Quarter Shop.
Candy Corn by Renne Nanneman and
Dark Magic, also by Rene Nanemann. The Fat Quarter Shop still has bundles of these fabrics available.
I wanted fabric with a fall/Halloween feel, a small print, a variety of ghoulish colors, and something with brown and yellow in it. The thread used to stitch these blocks is dark brown so I was needing some brown in my fabric. Candy Corn could not have been any more perfect.
So I've measured the block size and design size for each block and have come up with this setting. I plan to piece a scrappy stripped border, sort of creating a Halloween street to go around all the blocks.
I've checked my math no less than 4 times, it's time to trim the blocks to their required size and add some fabric, keep your fingers crossed that all goes well for me, I'm a nervous wreck that I'll make a mistake and ruin the whole thing.