Sinta and I are making great progress on our Star Blossom sew-along. All my blocks are pieced. You may remember from my last post that I started with the center blocks, using pink background fabric, and then I moved on to the outer blocks where I used white background. I have to admit to being a little underwhelmed with the look at this point.
I like the fabric, I like the block pattern, I just wasn't in the mood for another quilt with white background and one block design, I thought the pink was a great idea to add a little change but not a whole lot of change. The pink is maybe a bit too bold.
Here's a picture with the sashing added and I think it helps tone down things some.
I cut my sashing a little wider than the pattern directions to give a little more separation to the pink blocks. Also, the pattern called for cornerstones in the center of the quilt, not the outer edges, as you can see I put them everywhere I could. I think adding the blue squares to the outer edge pulls your eyes away from the center instead of putting focus on the center. This could be wishful thinking on my part, but it sure sounds like I know what I'm talking about.
This quilt is done, adding the inner and outer borders helped even more with those bright pink blocks not looking so bold. I'm not going to show you the final quilt until Sinta is done, which should be soon, so stay tuned. But I have to say I'm getting used to those pink centers and think I like having them in more than I would like the quilt without them.