I finished my latest project last night, ahead of my end of month schedule, barely. It's a wonder, the way my month got started. But once I got working on Madeline my pace and my attitude improved.
When I started working on Madeline, I wasn't even thinking of Sinta and Sherri's A Year of Schnibbles Sew Along, but luckily for me the month of May is quilter's choice, and I chose
Madeline and Good Fortune.
So here's quilt #58 named Madeline's Good Fortune. It finished at 108 x 108
As you may remember, I started working on Madeline after seeing Nicole's bigger and better version of Madeline. We enlarged the blocks to finish at 11 /1/2 inches, Nicole went with a five blocks by five rows Bigger Madeline and my plan was to go with a seven blocks by seven rows Even Bigger Madeline for my king size bed.
Madeline was the Schnibbles pattern for January and I loved every one of those quilts in the parade, especially the ones made from Rouenneries fabric.
I had been saving my Rouenneries fabric for a lady of the lakes or ocean waves type of pattern. But when I received my fat quarter bundle of Rural Jardin, I decided those patterns would look even better if I used Rural Jardin, the blue from that family giving one of those projects more dimension. So between Nicole's pictures of Bigger Madeline and my recently freed up my Rouenneries fabric I was set to go to town on my Madeline.
So I made 30 of the blocks I needed for my original design of 49, and filled up my design wall. I liked every block I made better than the last. And even though I loved each block, I got to thinking a whole king size bed of those Madeline blocks would be a little plain, so I hit the internet looking for ideas.
I started with Carrie Nelson's blog, La Vie en Rosie, since she designed Madeline I thought perhaps she would have some ideas.
Then I stumbled across this Schinibbles . . .
and it was my "Good Fortune" that Carrie had earlier designed a pattern with the same look and feel as Madeline.
If I centered something in the middle of Madeline, I needed something that was 35 x 35, Good Fortune is 32 x 32! So I increased the size of the outer border and added a border and got this
The perfect compliment to Madeline. I think it looks lovely all by itself.
Good Fortune would make a wonderful center for any type of medallion quilt, just add any borders that suit you. This was a breeze to piece and finished exactly at the 35 x 35 size I needed.
and went the same route for Madeline's Good Fortune. But this time I went with a mitered double border. I had no troubles this go round and think I'm hooked on mitered corners.
I made Madeline's Good Fortune to actually use on my bed. I think once it's quilted it will be a perfect fit!
Next up, a few pillows and shams to match....oh and getting it quilted.....the sooner the better!!
Be sure to stop by the blogs of Sinta/Pink Pin Cushion and Sherri/A Quilting Life on June 1 to see all the wonderful Schnibbles.
With it being quilter's choice, it should be quite a show.
Thanks for stopping by,
Added Later: I have received so many requests for the yardage requirements for this project that I have decided to add them here. I've never written or designed a pattern, and pulled all the fabric I used for Madeline's Good Fortune from a stack of French General fabric (Rouenneries and Rural Jardin) that I owned, paying no attention to how much I used, this is my best guess.
3 yards of assorted lights for star backgrounds
5 yards of assorted gray fabrics for stars and setting triangles
5 yards of assorted reds and pinks for stars and setting triangles.
3 yards of fabric for border