Doesn't that sound like the title of a bodice ripper romance novel, or at the very least a bad made for TV movie on Lifetime? I can hear the promo now, "It's an age old story of intrigue, drama, deceit and unrequited love, the French General and the Farmer's Wife".
Well I'm sure there will be some drama, time will tell on the rest of the story, but here's the real skinny on this story, I've decided to join a little sew along, me and 300 of my nearest and dearest friends.
Amanda at Ms McPorkchop Quilts
Angela at Fussy Cut
decided to organize a sew along for the sampler quilt, The Farmer's Wife, by Laurie Aaron Hird.
I've looked at this book and the Dear Jane sampler book several times and always thought the same thing, that would be a fun project . . . . sometime. Well it looks like my sometime is here. Seeing all the adorable blocks pop up on other folks blogs really piqued my interest. It was all the fun and colorful fabrics that appealed to me the most, that and the fact that the sew along is for only two blocks a week. Two blocks a week for a year that is! But I'm not going to worry about that today, all I need to think about today is two blocks a week. I'm getting a late start, this is already week 5!
One of the reasons I'm getting a late start is I could not decide on my fabric. (I told you, this story has drama, fabric drama.) At first I was just going to use whatever fabric I had in my scrap box, but my scraps are mainly red and cream, and that wouldn't make a very interesting Farmer's Wife. Then I decided I would just go with some of my Civil War reproduction fabrics. I thought that would look good, and that was sort of the plan I always had in the back of mind when I contemplated starting this project, but the thing that really pushed me to join the sew along were the modern looking, colorful blocks. Sherri's blocks at A Quilting Life were my absolute favorites. So I decided to try something different, something I've not seen yet, I'm going with my French General fabrics. (shocking I know, me making a quilt using FG fabrics, this will be number 7!) There are enough lines out now that I think I will have enough variety to make an interesting top.
So I've finished the first 6 blocks. I started with Block Number One and plan to make my blocks sequentially. (Of course I am, who wouldn't start with block one, then go to block two, then three, isn't that just the only way to go!!)
Those are all Kaari Meng's French General fabrics for Moda, can you believe it? Some Maison de Garance, Pom Pom de Paris, Rural Jardin, Rounneries, and Fa La La La La. My plan is to use Turkey Red as my sashing and have a little red in each block. (Yes, I know, that basket needs a handle!!)
It's hard to tell from this picture, but my blocks finish at 4 inches, the normal finish size is 6 inches. Because making 111 quilt blocks over the course of a year was not enough of a challenge for me, no I wanted to work on my math skills along the way! Truthfully, the 6 inch blocks make a king size quilt, and I don't want a king size Farmer's Wife quilt, and I don't want to omit any blocks, so I decided to just make mine smaller. Some of the blocks have several pieces so it will be interesting to see how it all works out in the end.
I'm not sure I'm going to stick with the 2 blocks a week plan, I may just pick a day a month and make as many as I can in that one day.
This is my French General scrap drawer, and the fabric I'm using for my blocks. I don't want to drag this drawer out and go through it every week, once a month sounds better, or maybe twice a month so I can get caught up.
I made my first 6 blocks on Tuesday, while Cooper was at doggy daycare and I had the house to myself. No more blocks for me until next month, which technically is Friday! Several folks have blogged about these blocks being addictive, I could not agree more!