So if you've been following along from the beginning of my Carolina project, you know I've not been over the top excited about the stems for my blooms. But they've got to be done so I decided to work on a few every day while I finish piecing my blooms.
3 blooms - 3 stems, no big deal really.
So the directions in the pattern said to use this template to place the stems in the correct place.
Getting the stems in just the right place is important, see how the left and right stems need to line up with that seam and base on the flower? If the stems aren't in the right place that doesn't happen. I don't know about you, but it would drive me crazy to have stems going everywhere but where they should be.
So I made this overlay out of pattern ease to attach my stems to the block.
I made the overlay by tracing the lines using the template in the pattern.
See those red arrows on the left and right stems? That is the all important edge. My stems need to line up perfectly with that line, it would be great if the stem fit right in that canal perfectly on both sides, but it doesn't matter if the stem is over or below the bottom side, it just needs to meet that top line perfectly.
So I take my fabric and press a line down the middle, so I know where the center is.
Then I place the overlay on top of the fabric, lining up that center line on the overlay with the pressed line on the fabric, and line up the bottom of the overlay with the bottom of the fabric.
Then I put the side stems where they need to be,
then the middle stem.
Once the stems are pressed into place I machine appliqué them on.
I'm using this bias strip guide for pressing the fabric and attaching Clover fusible bias tape to the back.
Two done, only 23 more to go!