When Sinta decided to host a BOM Rehab, to help her and quilters everywhere with unfinished BOM projects, it made me remember this old BOM I signed up for a couple of years ago.
Northern Lights is a pattern designed by Marti Michell and carried by quilt shops.
I signed up for this BOM based on this picture of the finished quilt. I loved and still love the soft neutral colors used to make the blocks.
When I got my welcome to the BOM letter from the shop it mentioned that "great care and time has been used to choose fabrics that closely match those shown in the pattern photo so that your quilt will have the same look". I did not think the fabric sent each month closely matched the pattern photo at all, not only did it not match the photo, it didn't match itself. I knew I was in trouble when the background fabric and the main focus fabric did not appeal to me, but I figured I would at least be able to use the other pieces sent to construct the blocks. No such luck, this turned into a very expensive pattern since I wasn't using the "carefully chosen" fabric.
I've since learned that when I sign up for a BOM or pick up a kit in a shop to ask, "is the fabric provided the exact fabric as in the sample?" Most of the time it is, but when it's not, I've found that the shop was able to tell me what was different in the kit versus the sample. It pays to ask.
So basically I just brought my envelopes in from the mailbox, threw them in a project box and watched for that $24.95 monthly fee to show up on my credit card. I sure was happy when my 12 months were up and I could forget about the project entirely.
Well that all changed this weekend when I got all the monthly blocks out, studied the pattern photo, and read all the pattern requirements.
I figured out that once I picked a background fabric and a focus fabric, and the three border fabrics, that I would have a good start on getting on track and finishing this project.
I also figured that if I made all the setting blocks, it would be easier to select fabric for focus blocks.
So that's what I did. This is the setting block.
The blocks are huge, 16 1/2 inches.
I made all eight.
Now it's on to the 7 focus blocks.
I'm hoping to make one a week, that way I'll have all the big blocks pieced before Labor Day, stay tuned!
Thanks Sinta for hosting BOM Rehab!