For a change of pace I decided to work on the appliqué blocks for my current project Hallowe'en 1904 by Blackbird Designs. After seeing Nicole's cute pumpkins I was anxious to make my own. I can't remember the last time I did any machine appliqué and wasn't really looking forward to it, but I'm off to a surprisingly good start.
By the time I got the blocks pieced, and got out my Steam A Seam 2, my Sulky stabilizer, my machine manual, my appliqué foot for my machine, my magic markers and special thread, I figured I might as well work on all the appliqué blocks at once, and not one at a time.
This is what I accomplished in one day and I'm very happy with my results so far. One of the things that's making this so easy is this wide and clear applique foot. The edge of the fabric just slides next to the right inside of that foot, making it easy to get the stitches right where they need to be.
Instead of matching the thread to the fabric I decided to use black thread for all the pieces. I'm going with black in the background fabric so I thought the black thread was a good match and I just like the look of blocks appliquéd in black.
The pattern comes with a pattern for the stars, but since I was using different stars for my pieced blocks I thought the pattern appliqué stars for my pumpkins would have a different look, that no one would notice but me, but you know how I am.
So I traced one of my pieced blocks onto my Steam A Seam paper,
and used that pattern for my appliqué stars.
Besides being surprised at how nicely it all looks and is coming together, I'm also surprised at how looooong it takes to machine appliqué! I'm hoping I'll finish up the appliqué blocks tomorrow.