So, day one of my machine appliqué work for Hallowe'en 1904 involved piecing the blocks and appliquéing the pumpkins, moon, and stars. That just left the stems and leaves for day two, how hard could that be?
Here's a nice close-up shot of a pumpkin from the pattern cover. The leaves were easy, see that cute little curlycue of a stem, that wasn't!
I cut my fabric on the bias so I would have some give and made it the size called for in the directions. I could not get my strip to curl and lay flat no matter how hard I tried, and I tried hard, for a long time.
Then it occurred to me that I could just draw and appliqué the stems, like the leaves were drawn and appliquéd. So that's what I did.
And here's how it turned out.
Three little pumpkins sitting on my design wall, all done!
Nicole got clever with her pumpkins and made them her own. I thought I would add a little something different to my project too, so I made this cat block to go with my pumpkin blocks and moon block.
I got the cat pattern from the Treats No Tricks book by Lynette Jensen.
So I'm all done with the appliqué phase of this project, and it only took me two days, start to finish.
Two FULL days, but I had the time and enjoyed every minute of it. I'll try machine appliqué again, sooner as opposed to later.
Now it's back to piecing those star blocks. I'm off on my one full block a day schedule, I hope to get back to that today.